Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 17: 8

Saturday, May 25, 2013

My heart's desire

God has a plan and a purpose for all of us, and within us there is a place where only He can dwell. Philippians 2:13 tells us "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose" We are all God's creation, however we must have an intimate personal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. Jesus must be Lord of our lives and we must make a choice of whom we are going to serve. How often we find ourselves serving our own foolish desires the desires of our flesh instead of seeking God's will. As His children we have the gift of the Holy Spirit to provide us with everything we need. What would our lives look like if we relied on the guidance of the Holy Spirit?


If you are anything like me too often I find myself wearing my heart on my sleeve. What if I placed my heart in the hands of God? What differences would there be if I found my ultimate approval in God and not people or the wisdom of this world? So if "it's God at work in my life to will and to act in order to fulfill his good pleasure" WHY would I not trust Him to bring about everything that is good in His eyes? 



Our hearts must be rooted and grounded in God and in order for us to know Him we have to seek His Word - the bible and Jesus the Word Made Flesh who  came to this earth to redeem us and rely on His precious Holy Spirit to guide us. The night Jesus was handed over to be crucified he prayed in the garden of Gethsemane and told his disciples who were keeping watch - Matthew 26: 41 " Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak". Are you in your garden of Gethsemane? Are the troubles of this life overwhelming you? Be of good cheer, Jesus has overcome this world and if you seek Him, He will be your deliverer. Our flesh is weak - Mark 10:27 says, Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." Beloved, there is nothing impossible with God! 

We find God in the presence of His Word. Below is a picture of the Ark of the Covenant which God had instructed Moses to build so that he could come and speak with Moses and the high priests (see Exodus 25: 10-22) Within the ark God told Moses to place the tablets of stone that God had written the Ten Commandments on. Mind you these were not the original sets of stone oh no, Moses broke those when he came down from the mountain after a wonderful experience with God. Has that ever happened to you? It's sure happened to me. You have this wonderful mountain top experience with God you are "floating on air" and then when you come down from the mountain top all hell is breaking loose and you are walking in the middle of it. Your emotions take over and you throw away everything you just experienced. Moses did, he took the stones that God's finger had written upon and threw them to the ground where they broke. Sin = God's law broken - His Word is precious and should be cherished above ALL ELSE!! After all His Word will prevail - even when it doesn't "feel" like it. When we allow our emotions to take over we're a basket case - Moses was after all a basket case (sorry couldn't help that) are we any different? But just as Moses the basket case, tossed the Word away God is a redeemer and when we place our lives in His hands He will work it out for our good and His glory. God created another set of stone tablets which he instructed Moses to place inside the ark of the covenant.



God gave special instructions on how this holy ark was to be carried. There were 4 rings which held 2 poles made of acacia wood covered in gold that the Kohathites tribal clan chosen by God were allowed to carry (see Numbers 4: 1-20) 

How many of us are guilty of putting the cart before the horse? We are all in a constant battle over "the covenant" whether we realize it or not. The Israelites would have the ark of the covenant then it would get captured by the Philistines (Israel's enemy). How much ground have we given over to the enemy of our soul, just handed it right over placed it square in the hands of Satan? Again we are reminded of Judges 21:25 "In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit" Yep! When we do as we see fit we are positioning ourselves as Lord and there is only one Lord of lords & King of kings and that is God Almighty and He has His ways and we must come in align with His will. When we try and do what we think is best and not what God says is best then our carts are misplaced. 

We might have the best of intentions but if those don't line up with the Word of God there are consequences. There is a well known saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Uzzah found that out the hard way. 2 Samuel 6: 1-8. King David had defeated the Philistines in yet another battle and was bringing the ark of the covenant back to Jerusalem. They set the ark of God on a "new cart" Uzzah was there and took hold of it because the oxen pulling the cart stumbled. This was seen as an irreverent act and Uzzah was struck down dead right there on the spot. One might say, well he had the best of intentions and was keeping the ark from falling. When we try and do what we think is best and not what God says there are great consequences. 

Far too often I find myself letting fear Lord over me. I don't do this or say that because I'm afraid. We are called to lay our lives down for the sake of the cross. My way is not the best way, it's not a matter of if I'll screw up it's a matter of my obedience and when I screw up I can run into the saving arms of my Lord where his blood washes me white as snow because his covenant with me is secure and will sustain any fall I might have.

Today I leave you with Psalm 42:

As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirst for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, "Where is your God?" 
These things I remember as I pour out my soul; how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng. Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? 
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon - from Mount Mizar. 
Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me - a prayer to the God of my life. 
I say to God my Rock, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?" My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long "Where is your God?" Why my soul, are you down cast? Why so disturbed within me? 
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

*No matter where you find yourself may GOD be your heart's desire*





No comments:

Post a Comment